We are on a mission to ensure doctors in every specialty are representative of society
WHO WE ARE
To offer patients the best care, doctors need to reflect the population that we treat. Being a doctor should not just be for the elite or privileged in society, it should be an option for anyone with the ability and desire. Unfortunately society has put barriers in place for certain groups of people who would otherwise make fantastic doctors. These barriers are present when applying to medical school, during medical school and when practising as a doctor.
WPMN exists to break down these barriers by forming a supportive community where we offer tips and advice for prospective and current medical students from underrepresented groups and work with key organisations to make long lasting improvements. Students from widening participation backgrounds include students who:
attend a school with low progression into higher education
are the first generation of their family to consider higher education
are from an underrepresented ethnic group
are from a low socio-economic group
have a disability
are a care leaver
are a carer
Why become a member?
1. It's FREE
2. Network with doctors, medical students and aspiring medical students across the UK in our community
3. Receive support in our 'members only' forum
3. Be the first to hear about our events
4. Find out about nationwide opportunities in our monthly newsletter
1. Prospective medical students from an underrepresented group
2. Current medical students from an underrepresented group
3. Doctors from an underrepresented group or passionate about widening participation
If you would like to be a member but do not fit the criteria above, please get in touch.
Founder of Widening Participation Medics Network
'When you've worked hard, and done well, and walked through that doorway of opportunity, you do not slam it shut behind you. You reach back and you give other folks the same chances that helped you succeed'